How can I update or ask about an IRCC application in progress?
Follow these tips to track, update or change information about an application in progress.
Check the status of your application
Find out how to check if we received your application.
We’ll send you your application number by mail or email when
- we made sure your application is complete
- we begin processing your application
Once you have your application number, you can check the status of your application. There are a few ways you can do that, depending on if you applied online or on paper.
Update your application
If we need more information to process your application, we’ll contact you by mail, email or through your account.
If you have a question about our request, you can
- send us your question through our Web form, or
- ask your question through your online account (if you have one). Upload a document with your question in place of the document we asked for
Make sure you keep your contact information updated. That way, we can contact you if we need to.
Change your mailing address
There are different ways of changing your address depending on your type of application and where you applied from.
Find out how to change your address.
Change other information
You must use our web form to tell us about changes to your situation, even if you applied online.
Examples of changes include
- marriage or divorce
- birth or adoption of a child
- death of an applicant or dependant
- getting a new passport
- You must submit a scanned copy of your new passport.
- changes that could affect your eligibility for the program you’re applying for, including changes in your
- job situation
- language skills
- contact information updates, including
- phone number
If you change your contact information, make sure you check your old contact information until we update your application.
Don’t send us changes for your contact or application information by mail. If you do, we won’t acknowledge your request or update your application. This could lead to a delay in processing your application.
Answers others found useful
- How long will it take to process my application?
- When does my processing time start?
- How can I check the status of my application?
- Why can’t I see my case status online?
- I sent my application a while ago, but there is no record of my application online. Why?
- How are processing times calculated?
- Why do some application processing times change and others do not?
- What does my family sponsorship application status mean?
- Why can’t I create a permanent residence tracker account for my sponsorship application?
- Why have processing times changed for some applications types?
- How do I check the status of my Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel application?
- Date modified: