Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?

You need a valid permanent resident (PR) card to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat. If you know your card will expire when you’re travelling, renew it before you leave. You can only renew your card in Canada. We don’t send PR cards to non-Canadian addresses and we don’t allow third parties to get them for you.

If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

If you leave Canada without a valid PR card, you must apply for a PRTD to re-enter Canada.

It might take longer than normal to process your PRTD application. This could delay your return to Canada.

It depends on how you travel.

Returning by private vehicle

There are other documents you can use to enter the country.

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent. It is a vehicle not available for public use.

Returning by commercial vehicle: airplane, bus, train, or boat

You must apply for a permanent resident travel document. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.

You can apply for a PR card when you return to Canada.

You can apply for a PR card when you return to Canada.

If you’re traveling soon or already applied

If you know you’re travelling by commercial vehicle soon, you can ask for an urgent renewal of your PR card. If you already applied for your PR card and are still waiting for it, you can check our processing times, check the status of your application or link your application to your account to keep track of it.

Contact us if you’ve been waiting for your card for six weeks longer than the normal processing time and still haven’t received it.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Help tool

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: