The UNHCR accepted my relatives as refugees. Does that mean they will be resettled in Canada?
No, it does not mean they will be resettled in Canada. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) accepts refugees who meet its requirements. Next, it refers some of those refugees to be resettled in Canada. Canada then screens them to make sure they meet:
- the criteria of the Refugee and Humanitarian Resettlement Program; and
- medical, criminal and security screening requirements.
Not every person referred by the UNHCR is accepted for resettlement in Canada.
Thank you for your feedback
Answers others found useful
- Who is eligible for sponsorship under the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program?
- Who can sponsor a refugee?
- How long does it take before a privately sponsored refugee gets to Canada?
- Who decides whether a refugee can be sponsored and resettled?
- What kind of support do government-assisted refugees get?
- Date modified: