Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

What kind of support do government-assisted refugees get?

The Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) gives government-assisted refugees immediate and essential supports for their most basic needs.

Support services include:

  • greeting at the airport,
  • temporary housing,
  • help with finding permanent housing,
  • help with registering for mandatory federal and provincial programs,
  • orientation to the community, a service that includes
    • providing contacts for safety and emergency services,
    • introducing refugees to the city where they have settled,
    • explaining
      • public transportation,
      • Canada's education and health care systems,
      • Canadian laws and customs, and
      • the local climate,
  • personal finance help in areas such as
    • budgeting,
    • setting up a bank account and
    • using debit and credit cards,
  • basic "life skills" support for high needs clients, and
  • referrals to other refugee programs.

Canada provides income support under the RAP to eligible refugees who cannot pay for their own basic needs. Support can include a:

  • one-time household start-up allowance, and
  • monthly income support payment.

The level of monthly financial support is generally based on the prevailing provincial social assistance rates in the province where the refugees settle. Financial support can last up to one year after a refugee arrives in Canada, or until they can support themselves, whichever occurs first.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: