Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

My IEC work permit application was approved, but I don’t want to work yet. Can I enter Canada as a visitor for now?

Yes, as long as you satisfy the border services officer that you are entering as a visitor and will not be working.

When you are ready to work in Canada, you will need to go to a Port of Entry (exit and re-enter Canada). When you re-enter, you must present your Port of Entry (POE) Letter to get your work permit. Make sure your POE Letter is not expired.

If you received an eTA with your work permit, you do not need to apply for a second eTA.

See also Can I come to Canada before I receive my POE Letter?

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: