Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

How do I get health-care services or treatment through the Interim Federal Health Program?

Follow these steps:

  1. Find a health-care provider who is registered with Medavie Blue Cross.
    1. Medavie Blue Cross is the company that manages Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) claims.
    2. If your health-care provider isn’t registered with Medavie Blue Cross, they can easily register.
  2. Show your IFHP eligibility document to your health-care provider before they treat you.
  3. After you are treated, your health-care provider may give you a claim form. You must sign this form to prove you were given the health service or product.


  • Before using any services, ask if the provider takes part in the Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) and agrees to send their bill to Medavie Blue Cross.
  • You don’t have to accept services from health-care providers who don’t take part in the IFHP. For example, if a pharmacy asks you to pay for medication, you can find another pharmacy that is registered with the IFHP.
  • If you go to a pharmacy that is not located in your province of residence (e.g. if you live in Ontario and request a prescription medication in Quebec), your claim may be rejected. Make sure that you tell us if you move to another province.
  • If you are eligible for coverage for the service or product under the IFHP, you won’t have to pay for it.
  • If you pay a provider for a service or product that is covered by the IFHP, you won’t get any money back.
  • If you need a health-care service or product that isn’t covered you will have to pay for it.

Find out more about how to get health services and products.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: