Can I leave and come back to Canada if I have a work permit?
Yes. However, a work permit isn’t a travel document. It doesn’t give you the right to travel to Canada. Along with your permit, you need either:
- a temporary resident visa or
- an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
Having an eTA or a visa, along with your work permit, doesn’t guarantee that we will let you back into Canada. You must show the border services officer that you meet all the requirements before we will let you re-enter.
Read more about travelling while you are a temporary worker.
Thank you for your feedback
Answers others found useful
- I have a temporary resident visa. Can I leave Canada and come back?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?
- I am outside of Canada and do not have a PR card. How can I return to Canada?
- Date modified: