Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I am a privately sponsored refugee. My sponsor has asked me to pay money to support myself in Canada. Should I pay?

No, you do not have to pay.

Being a privately sponsored refugee means that a group of people in Canada has volunteered to help you adjust to life here. Your sponsorship group will help you find a place to live, give you food and clothing and financial support. They have made a commitment to support you for one year after you arrive in Canada or until you can support yourself, whichever comes first.

However, sometimes there are refugees who come to Canada with their own money. If you have the money and are able to support yourself, your sponsor may expect you to contribute to your own settlement costs. This could be from funds you’ve brought to Canada or money you earn during your sponsorship period.

Sponsors will support refugees who need the financial support.

Quebec has its own process to sponsor refugees. This means that the rules private sponsors in Quebec must follow are different from the rest of Canada. If your sponsor is from Quebec and you have questions, contact Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion. This is the part of the Quebec provincial government that deals with immigration.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: