Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I’m waiting for my post-graduation work permit. Can I travel outside Canada and come back with my student visa?

You can leave Canada and return, as long as your visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is still valid. Your permit (study or work) is not a visa and doesn't allow you to travel back to Canada.

If your visa or eTA is expired, you have to get a new one before you return to Canada.

When you return to Canada:

  • You may enter as a student if your study permit is still valid.
  • If we approve your post-graduation work permit while you’re away, you may enter as a worker.
  • If we’re still processing your post-graduation work permit, you may enter as a visitor, and you can work without a work permit until we make a decision on your application.

A border officer will have some questions for you when you arrive back in Canada. The officer may ask you for proof that you applied for a post-graduation work permit, such as a copy of your application or the fee payment receipt.

If the officer believes there is reason to refuse your re-entry, you won’t be able to enter Canada.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: