How can I include a dependent child on my application?
Before you include a dependent child on your application, use our online tool to make sure they qualify. If they do, you will see specific instructions on how to include them on your application or send us a request to add your dependant to your existing application.
To include your child on your application
Follow the instructions in your application guide to properly fill out the forms and submit the correct fees for your dependant.
To add your child to an existing application
You must send us a request to add your child. When we receive your request, we will tell you, by mail or email, what documents you need to submit. For example, you may need to send us:
- new forms – we’ll tell you which ones to fill out
- proof of payment for your dependant
- supporting documents such as proof of income, a birth certificate, a medical or police certificate
To reduce delays, please send us the information we need to process your dependent child as soon as possible.
We may refuse your application if your child is inadmissible to Canada.
You can’t add a child to your application if we finished processing your application and you have already become a permanent resident.
Answers others found useful
- What is a complex family sponsorship application?
- For my IRCC spousal sponsorship application, what is a common-law partner?
- What are the changes to the spousal sponsorship program?
- Am I affected by the changes made to reduce spousal sponsorship wait times?
- How can I sponsor my spouse or children?
- Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
- I already became a permanent resident. Can I still add my dependent child to my application?
- What counts as income for sponsoring my parents and grandparents?
- What’s considered social assistance when sponsoring my parents and grandparents?
- What proof do I need for changes to my information after I was invited to apply to sponsor my parents?
- What if my birth certificate is different from other documents (or I don’t have one)?
- I was invited to apply to sponsor my parents, but didn’t get an email confirmation. How do I get it?
- Will you refuse my application if I put a different parent than on my interest to sponsor form?
- Do I need a marriage certificate for my parents/grandparents sponsorship application?
- I’m sponsoring my parent. I don’t know where their separated spouse is. How do I apply?
- Do I include time on parental leave in my employment history for sponsoring my parents?
- What do I put for the date of birth (or death) of my family member if I don’t know it?
- How can I quickly get information about my Canadian citizenship to sponsor parents/grandparents?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: