Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I got a new passport after coming to Canada but I still have a valid work permit in my old one. What should I do?

Keep your old passport. If you plan to travel outside Canada, bring both your old and new passport with you. You’ll need your valid work permit when you come back.

The expiry date on your work permit is linked to the expiry on your passport. If you got a new passport because your old one was expiring, then your work permit will also expire at the same time. In this case, you need to apply to extend your work permit to keep working in Canada.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: