Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

My work permit expired, but I’ve maintained my status. Can I keep working under the same conditions of my initial work permit if my Social Insurance Number (SIN) is expired?

Yes. If you applied to extend your work permit before your initial work permit expired, you can keep working, even if your SIN is expired. This is allowed under the Employment Insurance Act and Regulations.

Renewing your SIN

When you get your new work permit, you can renew your SIN.

You can give your employer proof that you’ve applied to renew your SIN. Once you get a new expiry date for your SIN, you must give it to your employer within 3 days.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: