Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I have an open work permit because my spouse is working/studying in Canada. For how long is my permit valid?

Normally, your work permit is valid for the same amount of time that your spouse or common-law partner’s work permit or study permit is valid. Your work permit will stay valid for that entire period even if

  • your spouse or common-law partner’s situation changes, for example
    • they lose their job
    • they complete their studies early
  • you divorce or separate

If these situations apply to you, you won’t be able to extend this work permit when it expires, but you may be eligible for another type of work permit.

See also: What do I need to work in Canada?

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Date modified: