Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Are there other work permit options I can consider while I wait for my permanent resident application to be processed?

If you already applied for a work permit under the Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilots, it will take a while to process your application.

You may also want to apply separately for a work permit or extend your current one under the

  • Temporary Foreign Worker Program or
  • International Mobility Program

Find out how to renew your work permit or status as a foreign worker.

If you have an employer-specific work permit and you want to change jobs or employers, you

  • must apply for a new work permit from inside Canada
  • don’t need to wait until we approve the application to start your new job or work for a new employer
  • just need an email from us that says you have permission to change jobs

Find out more about changing jobs or employers.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: