Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

What if my birth certificate is different from other documents (or I don’t have one)?

That depends on what’s different and why.

If my parent’s or grandparent’s name isn’t the same on my birth certificate as on other documents

We need proof that the person you want to sponsor is related to you.

If your birth certificate doesn’t clearly show this

  • give an equivalent document that shows the relationship and
  • include a letter of explanation about why you’re sending it

You should also include a copy of your birth certificate.

If I got married and now use my spouse's last name

If your name is different on newer documents because you got married, you should include

  • proof that explains the name change and
  • a letter of explanation

If there’s incorrect information on my birth certificate

If details in your application don’t match your identity documents (like your birth certificate), include

  • a written explanation of why they don’t match
  • any supporting documents you have to prove you’re giving us accurate information in your application

If I don’t have a birth certificate

Sponsors normally need a birth certificate as proof of the relationship with their parents. You should apply for a certified copy of your birth certificate if you don’t have one.

If you can’t get a birth certificate from your birth country, you can give an equivalent document from that country along with a letter explaining why your birth certificate isn’t available.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: