Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Do I need a marriage certificate for my parents/grandparents sponsorship application?

In most cases, you need to include a marriage certificate to prove your parents’ or grandparents’ relationship. There are a few exceptions:

  • If one parent is deceased

    You should include a letter explaining the situation. In the case of a deceased parent, you would include their death certificate.

  • If your parents don’t have a marriage certificate

    If you can’t get one, include a detailed explanation as to why you can’t.

  • If your parents divorced some time ago and you don’t know where the parent you’re not sponsoring is

    If your parents are divorced, you can include a notarized divorce certificate to prove one parent is not a dependant of the other. A processing officer may ask you for more information later.

Including all the documents we ask for will help make sure your application isn’t

  • delayed in processing or
  • returned to you as incomplete

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: