Can I have a work permit and study permit at the same time?
Yes. You can apply for an additional permit. However, you must
- be eligible for both permits
- show the officer that you can study and work at the same time
When you apply, include a letter to explain how you’ll do this. Give details about how you’ll balance your work schedule with your studies. If you apply online, upload this letter in the Client information part of your document checklist.
Workers who can study without a study permit
You may be eligible to study without a study permit if you are in either of the following situations:
- You have a valid work permit that was issued on or before June 7, 2023.
- You must have been issued a letter on or before June 7, 2023, authorizing you to work while we process your work permit application.
- You can use this letter if you’re waiting for a decision on your work permit extension.
Eligibility for other programs
There are some things to know about holding 2 permits:
- The work experience you gain while you hold a study permit doesn’t count toward the work experience requirements for most permanent residence programs.
- Check the requirements for your program before you apply for permanent residence.
- If you plan to apply for a post-graduation work permit when you complete your studies, you’ll need to meet the eligibility criteria.
- For example, you must maintain full-time status during all semesters of your study program, even while working.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
- Can I hold 2 valid work permits at the same time?
Form and guide
- Date modified: