Does my work permit allow me to work for any employer in Canada?
It depends on the work permit you have. Most work permits are tied to a specific employer. They will only allow you to work for the employer on the permit.
In some situations, you can get an open work permit, which does not include a specific employer. An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada unless the employer:
- is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions, or
- offers, on a regular basis, striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
- Can I hold 2 valid work permits at the same time?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: