Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I work in Quebec. How can I extend my work permit?

If you’re an International Experience Canada participant, see Extend or change your work permit – International Experience Canada.

Step 1: Find out if you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

If you need an LMIA, your employer must follow these steps:

For more information, see the page Immigrate and settle in Quebec – Temporary workers.

If your employer doesn’t need an LMIA to hire you, you’re also exempt from getting a CAQ. In most cases, your employer will need to submit a new offer of employment through the Employer Portal.

Some LMIA-exempt employers don’t need to submit an offer of employment or pay the employer compliance fee. Find out how to get a work permit for these jobs.

Step 2: Apply to extend your work permit

Before your work permit expires, apply to extend your work permit.

Include copies of your job offer letter or contract and:

  • the new LMIA or CAQ, or
  • the offer of employment number that your LMIA-exempt employer received after submitting your offer (if applicable)

Information for your spouse or common-law partner

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to apply for an open work permit. Their work permit will have the same expiry date as your own.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: