Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I applied for a new work permit. Can I stay in Canada if my work permit expires?

Yes, you can stay in Canada until we make a decision on your new work permit application. This is called maintained status.

You may also be authorized to work until we make a decision on your application. However, you must respect the following requirements:

If you applied for another work permit

You must stay in Canada and work under the conditions of your original work permit.

If you applied to extend or change your work permit before it expired, you’re authorized to keep working under the same conditions as your original permit until we make a decision on your application.

If you applied for a study permit or visitor record

You must stop working on day the original work permit expires.

For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Glossary term

Date modified: