Can I keep working if my permit expires? How do I prove this to my employer?
Yes, if you applied to extend or change your work permit before your work permit expired, you
- have maintained your status
- are authorized to work until we finalize your application
You must stay in Canada and continue working under the same conditions as your original work permit. For example, if you have an employer-specific work permit, you must still work for the employer named on that permit.
If your employer needs proof you can keep working, there are documents you can show them.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
- Can I hold 2 valid work permits at the same time?
Form and guide
- Date modified: