Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I have applied to extend my work permit. Can I travel outside Canada?

You can leave Canada and come back. However, one of three things will happen when you return to Canada.

  1. You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a visitor, if we have not yet decided to extend your work permit. If this is the case, you cannot work until you get your work permit extension. The officer at the port of entry may ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
  2. You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a worker, if the officer at the port of entry finds out that we extended your work permit while you were away.
  3. You may be asked to apply for a new work permit at the port of entry.

You must also meet all other applicable entry requirements.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: