What if a foreign worker becomes sick, has an accident, is hospitalized or needs home recovery?
Your employee is entitled to sick leave, as set out in provincial or territorial legislation. Do not force your employee to work if they are ill. The required health or workers' compensation plan in your province or territory should cover the employee.
Your responsibility depends on the coverage provided under these plans. Your employee may also be able to collect Employment Insurance sickness benefits. For more information, contact your provincial or territorial labour standards board.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
- Can I hold 2 valid work permits at the same time?
- Date modified: