What rights do I have as a live-in caregiver under labour or employment laws?
As a live-in caregiver, you have legal rights to fair working conditions and fair treatment under labour laws in most provinces and territories. Nothing in your contract or working conditions can violate these rights.
Your employment contract will help protect your rights as an employee. Find out more about the information that should be in your contract.
You also have the right to leave an unsatisfactory employer. Find out more about extending your stay if you change, lose or quit your job.
Regulation 185 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations lists the conditions that may be put on your work permit.
Working conditions, such as minimum hourly wages, vary widely across Canada. You should find out what the labour laws are where you work by checking with your provincial or territorial labour standards office.
Labour laws may cover rights in areas such as:
- days off each week;
- vacation time with pay;
- paid public holidays;
- overtime pay;
- minimum wage;
- maximum charges for room and board.
Public holidays are days when most workers, including live-in caregivers, can have the day off with pay or receive a premium for working, which could be overtime pay. In Canada, some common holidays are:
- New Year’s Day (January 1);
- Good Friday (the Friday before Easter);
- Victoria Day (late May);
- Canada Day (July 1);
- Labour Day (early September);
- Thanksgiving (mid-October); and
- Christmas Day (December 25).
Some provinces or territories have one or two other public holidays.
Answers others found useful
- How long will it take to process my application?
- When does my processing time start?
- How can I check the status of my application?
- Why can’t I see my case status online?
- I sent my application a while ago, but there is no record of my application online. Why?
- How are processing times calculated?
- Why do some application processing times change and others do not?
- What does my family sponsorship application status mean?
- Why can’t I create a permanent residence tracker account for my sponsorship application?
- Why have processing times changed for some applications types?
- How do I check the status of my Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel application?
- Date modified: