Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I’m a live-in caregiver and I’m ready to apply for permanent residence. Can I apply for an open work permit?

As a live-in caregiver, you can apply for an open work permit when you apply for permanent residence under the Live-in Caregiver Class.

You must also have:

  • held valid work permits under the program for two years or more; and
  • worked for at least 3,900 hours or 2 years as a live-in caregiver within no more than 4 years.

Send your work permit application in the same envelop as your permanent residence application before your current work permit expires.

An open work permit allows you to work for any employer for the length of time specified on the work permit.

See also: May I send my open work permit application and permanent residence applications separately?

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: