Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

How can my common-law partner and I prove we have been together for 12 months?

Items that can be used as proof of a common-law relationship include:

  • shared ownership of residential property
  • joint leases or rental agreements
  • bills for shared utility accounts, such as:
    • gas
    • electricity
    • telephone
    • joint utility accounts
  • important documents for both of you showing the same address, such as:
    • driver’s licenses
    • insurance policies
  • identification documents

You don’t need to include all these items to prove your relationship is real. We may consider other proof as well. Use the document checklist to find out what to submit with your application.

We don’t return photos, telephone bills or letters. Don’t send videos or CD-ROMs. We’ll return original documents such as marriage certificates and passports. However, you should send certified photocopies unless your checklist or country-specific requirements ask you to submit originals.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: