Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Do skilled temporary foreign workers need a certain education level to apply for permanent residence?

No. You don’t need a certain level of education to apply to stay permanently in Canada. But, you can get Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points if you have high school education or higher.

To get points for education outside Canada, you must have an Education Credential Assessment.

You can now also earn additional CRS points for study in Canada above high school:

  • 15 points for a one- or two-year diploma or certificate
  • 30 points for a degree, diploma or certificate of three years or longer, or a Master’s, professional or doctoral degree of at least one year.

Completing an Express Entry profile is the first step to immigrate to Canada permanently as a skilled worker. In it, you can give details about your education.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: