Can I count student work experience toward the Express Entry work requirement?
It depends on where you were working and studying.
To be eligible for Express Entry, you must meet the minimum requirements for 1 or more Express Entry programs. This includes the work experience requirement.
Using student work experience for minimum requirements
Federal Skilled Worker Program
Student work experience gained while you were studying in Canada or abroad counts towards the minimum requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program if the work:
- was paid by wages or commissions
- was continuous (no gaps in employment), and
- meets all the other requirements of the Program
This includes co-op terms and apprenticeships.
Canadian Experience Class and Federal Skilled Trades Program
How student work experience affects your profile ranking
Canadian work experience gained while you were a full-time student doesn’t count towards the score used to rank your profile.
The work experience gained as a full-time student outside Canada counts towards the score used to rank your profile.
Thank you for your feedback
Answers others found useful
- What do you mean by Primary Occupation?
- Why didn’t I get points for my job offer in Express Entry?
- I have a job offer but the system says I need to register in Job Bank. Why?
- I am working in Canada on a valid work permit. Does this count as a job offer?
- I am working in Canada on a post-graduation work permit. Do I need a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
How to videos
- Date modified: