Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Does an adopted child need a travel document, like a visa, to come to Canada?

Yes. Before bringing your child to Canada, you must apply for the necessary travel document in order for your child to legally enter Canada. The document is either a permanent resident visa, or a Canadian passport through a grant of citizenship. To avoid unnecessary delays and costs, adoptive parents should not plan to return to Canada with the adopted child until they know with certainty that all immigration or citizenship requirements have been met.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: