Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

What should I do if Immigration, Refugee and Canada Citizenship (IRCC) returns my application, saying my representative is not authorized?

You may get a letter from us saying that we cannot verify the status of your consultant, lawyer, or other representative. That means we do not know if that person is a member of:

  • a provincial or territorial law society,
  • the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants or
  • the Chambre des notaires du Québec.

Re-send your application to that IRCC office as soon as possible. Include proof of your representative’s status (for example, a photocopy of his or her membership card).

If you find out that your consultant, lawyer or other representative is not authorized by one of the regulatory bodies, you may choose another representative or you may apply on your own.

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: