Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I sponsored a family member who resides outside of Canada, and they applied for permanent residence at a visa office overseas. Can I obtain information on that file?

A: Yes. If you are seeking personal information about someone other than yourself, in this case, a family member’s file, you must:

  • send a request under the Access to Information Act,
  • get written consent from the family member, and anyone else over 18 years of age who is included in the file, to get their personal information and
  • pay a C$5.00 application fee.

If, however, you are requesting information contained in your own sponsorship file, you must submit a request under the Privacy Act and no fees apply.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: