Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I am a refugee and I need to travel outside Canada. What documents do I need to travel?

You need to get a Refugee Travel Document from Passport Canada. It is recognized in all countries as a valid travel document. However, you cannot use it to travel to the country that you are a citizen of or the country of claimed persecution.

If you are a:

you will need a Refugee Travel Document.

To apply, you will need to give Passport Canada proof of your status in Canada. You will need either:

If you are a Convention refugee, you should have a letter from the IRB. If you need to replace a lost letter, please contact the IRB.

If you are a protected person who was selected overseas and resettled as a refugee in Canada, you should have either a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document, or a Permanent Resident Card. If you need to replace an expired, lost or stolen Permanent Resident Card, you can apply for a new one.

If you are a protected person with a positive Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) decision, you should have a VOS. If your PRRA result was before December 17, 2012, and you did not get a VOS, or if you lost it, you can apply for a new one.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: