Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

What can I use to prove my status in Canada as a refugee or protected person?

If your claim for refugee protection is accepted by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB), you will get a formal letter or document that you can use to prove your status.

If you are a protected person who was selected abroad and resettled as a refugee in Canada, you will get a document called a “Confirmation of Permanent Residence.” Later, you will be sent a Permanent Resident Card (also called a PR card).

If you are a protected person because you got a positive Pre-Removal Risk Assessment, you will get a document called a “Verification of Status.”

Each of these documents can be used to prove your status in Canada.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: