Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Do I need a language test to immigrate to Canada?

Many economic immigration programs require a language test to qualify. You’ll need to:

  • schedule your test with an approved agency
  • pay the test costs
Programs that require a language test
  • Agri-food pilot
  • Atlantic Immigration program
  • Caregivers
  • Economic Mobility Pathways pilot
  • Express Entry
  • Federal Internship for Newcomers program
  • Permanent residence pathways for Hong Kong residents
  • Rural and Northern Immigration pilot
  • Self-employed Persons program
  • Start-up visa program

What to include in your application

If you’re applying for Express Entry, you’ll enter your test scores directly into your profile.

If you’re applying any of the other programs above, include a copy of the test results with your application.

These results must be less than 2 years old when you apply. Keep a copy of them for your records and future use.

Language tests we accept

You can take any of these approved language tests:



Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: