Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

What language test do I need for Express Entry?

Before you complete an Express Entry profile, you need to take a language test. This will show that your language skills meet minimum requirements in each of these four categories:

  • listening,
  • speaking,
  • reading and
  • writing.

You will then need to include the test results when you complete your Express Entry profile.

You will need to take a language test to meet the eligibility criteria of these programs:

The language standard you need to meet depends on the program you apply for.

We do not provide language testing. You will need to be tested by a “third-party” agency that we have approved.

You need to arrange to take a language test from any of the approved agencies. You will have to pay the cost to write the test.

Note: Completing an Express Entry profile is the first step to immigrate to Canada permanently as a skilled worker. Completing an Express Entry profile does not guarantee that you will receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence. An Invitation to Apply for permanent residence will be based on your score and rank in the Express Entry pool using the Comprehensive Ranking System.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to video

Glossary term

Date modified: