Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Can I renew my post-graduation work permit?

No. Post-graduation work permits (PGWP) are a one-time opportunity for international students. Those students must have graduated from a PGWP-eligible program at a designated learning institution.

If you had to renew your passport

You can extend your PGWP with your new passport only if

  • you were eligible for a PGWP but
  • you didn’t get the full length because your passport was going to expire

Include this information in a letter of explanation when you apply to extend your PGWP.

If you’re an Express Entry applicant

You may be able to apply for a bridging open work permit if

  • you’re waiting for a decision on a permanent residence application under Express Entry
  • your current work permit expires in 4 months or less
  • you have valid status on your work permit
  • you’re currently in Canada

Completing an Express Entry profile doesn’t guarantee you’ll receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence. An Invitation to Apply for permanent residence will be based on your score and rank in the Express Entry pool. The Express Entry pool uses the Comprehensive Ranking System.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: