Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I am working in Canada on a post-graduation work permit. Do I need a Labour Market Impact Assessment?

Not necessarily.

If you are working in Canada on a post-graduation work permit, and have a valid job offer, your current employer will need to get an LMIA if:

  • you need one to meet the program requirements for the FSWP or the FSTP and
  • your job is not exempt.

If a job is exempt, it means your employer does not need an LMIA to support your job offer.

If you are invited under the Canadian Experience Class, you don’t need an LMIA to meet the program requirements.

But, a valid job offer supported by an LMIA can get you more points under the Comprehensive Ranking System. This can improve your chances of being invited to apply. So in that case, your employer may want to get an LMIA, even though you don’t need it to be eligible.

You must complete an Express Entry profile as the first step to immigrate to Canada permanently as a skilled worker.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: