Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Is it possible to study in Canada while participating in IEC?

Yes. You are allowed to enroll in individual courses under any of the IEC categories. The course(s) must be completed within a 6-month period. They also must not be part of a program lasting longer than 6 months, such as a 2-year program or 4-year degree. If the course or program is longer than 6 months, you will need to apply for a study permit.

Workers who can study without a study permit

You may also be eligible to study without a study permit if you are in either of the following situations:

  1. You have a valid work permit that was issued on or before June 7, 2023.
  2. You were issued a letter on or before June 7, 2023, authorizing you to work while we process your work permit application.
    1. You can use this letter if you’re waiting for a decision on your work permit extension.

Note that you’re not eligible if you applied for a new IEC participation and are waiting for a decision.

Find out if you’re eligible.

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: