Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Can I come to Canada before I receive my POE Letter?

We strongly recommend you wait until you receive your Port of Entry (POE) Letter before travelling to Canada. If you do not have your POE Letter when you arrive at a Canadian port of entry, you will not get a work permit. The Border Services Officer will decide if you may be admitted as a visitor (tourist). As a visitor, you are not allowed to work.

If you are in Canada when you receive your POE Letter, you must:

  • leave the country, and
  • re-enter at any port of entry to receive your work permit.

If you plan to leave and re-enter Canada through the United States, you must meet US immigration requirements. Contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate to find out if you meet these requirements.

See also My IEC work permit application was approved, but I don’t want to work yet. Can I enter Canada as a visitor for now?

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: