Language selection


Applying for an eTA

How do I apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?

To apply you must have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country, a valid credit and an email address.

It costs $7 CAD to get an eTA and only takes a few minutes to apply. Approved eTAs are valid for up to five years.

Apply now for an eTA.

I see other websites advertising that I can apply for an eTA with them. Is there more than one website to apply for an eTA?

No. The Government of Canada website is the official place to apply for an eTA. Even authorized third parties that apply on behalf of someone else have to use this website to apply for an eTA. To find out if you need an eTA, answer the questions at the start of this website’s application form.

Travellers who apply for an eTA are advised to be cautious in all dealings with companies that claim to offer help in getting an eTA. Although many of these companies have created websites that charge a fee to provide information and submit eTA applications through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), these companies are NOT operating on behalf of the Government of Canada.

Read more on how to protect yourself.

What type of information do I need to complete an eTA application?

You will need to provide the biographic information from your passport. This includes your name, date and place of birth, gender, marital status, address, nationality and passport number. You will also need to answer a few simple background questions to determine if you can come to Canada. For example, you will be asked about your current job and if you have any medical issues.

Can I apply for an eTA for my child?

Yes. To apply for your child, you need to submit a separate application form. You will need to enter a few things differently on your child’s form:

Can I help a friend or family member apply for an eTA?

Yes, you may help a friend or family member apply for an eTA. You will need to indicate at the start of the form that you are completing the form for your friend or family member.

When you start the application form:

As a Canadian citizen living in Canada, can I apply for an eTA for my non-Canadian relative or friend who lives abroad?

Yes, a Canadian citizen may help a non-Canadian relative or friend apply for an eTA. You will need to indicate at the start of the form that you are completing the form for your relative or friend.

When you start the application form:

Can more than one person, including dependents, be included in an eTA application?

No. Each person must submit a separate eTA application. If your child or children appear on your passport, a separate eTA application must be submitted for each child.

Can I submit a group application for eTA?

No. You must apply one person at a time. For example, for a family of three, you will need to submit each application individually, and pay the fee for each one separately.

Can I use my email address when I apply for an eTA on behalf of someone?

Yes. If the applicant does not have an email address, you can use yours. However, by entering your email address, you will get all emails from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) about the person’s application. You will also continue to get relevant emails for the period the eTA is valid (up to 5 years).

If you enter the person’s email, IRCC will email the applicant directly.

Can I start my eTA application and save it?

No, there is no save feature. You must complete your application in one session. Make sure to have your passport, email address and a credit card ready before you start the form.

Can I review my eTA application before I submit it?

At this time, there is no review function. Please enter the information carefully and take note of the details entered if you want a record of what you submit.

What happens if I made a mistake (like an email address or passport number) on my eTA application?

You will need to apply again. Make sure to enter the correct information.

Your correct email address is needed because we will email you to tell you if your application for an eTA is approved.

The passport number of the passport you will use to travel to Canada is needed because your eTA will be linked to that passport. If the passport number you entered is not correct, you may not be able to board your flight.

Be extra careful when entering your passport information.

Can I apply for an eTA using a document other than a passport?

No. You can only apply for an eTA using a valid passport issued to you by your country of citizenship or nationality.

Find out if your document is a passport

Look at the front cover of the document. The word “passport” should appear on the cover.

What options are available to pay the eTA application fee?

You can pay for an eTA with the following:

What if I don’t have a Visa, Mastercard or American Express? Are there other methods to pay for an eTA?

Yes, we also accept:

Do I have to apply for an eTA each time I travel to Canada?

No. Once approved, your eTA is valid for five years or until your passport expires – whichever comes first. You can come to Canada as many times as you wish as long as your eTA remains valid.

I must travel to Canada for exceptional circumstances. Can I get my eTA on an urgent basis?

When you apply, indicate in detail on the application the urgent and/or compelling reason for your travel. This information will be considered when your application is processed. However, most applicants will receive a confirmation within minutes.

Date modified: