Permanent resident card - Applying, renewing, replacing
Returning to Canada without a permanent resident (PR) card
You need a valid PR card to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat.
What to do if you don’t have a valid PR card or your card is about to expire
- If youre outside Canada: apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to return to Canada
- If you want to leave Canada: renew your PR card before you leave.
- If you don’t get your card in time, apply for a PRTD from outside Canada.
Special measures for Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Iran
If you’re a Canadian citizen or permanent resident currently in Iran, you can apply for the following documents for free:
- Canadian passport
- Canadian citizenship certificate
- permanent resident travel document
- How do I renew my permanent resident card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- How can I get a permanent resident card?
- What should I do if my PR card has been lost, stolen or destroyed?
- What happens if my PR card expires?
- I am a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a permanent resident card?
- How do I pay the fee for my permanent resident card?
- What should I do if my new permanent resident card has a mistake or something is missing?
- Will I get my permanent resident card by mail?
- How much does a permanent resident card cost?
- Should I submit photos with my PR card application?
- If I am granted citizenship, what happens to my permanent resident card?
- When should I apply for a permanent resident card?
- How can I avoid delays or refusals in processing my permanent resident card application?
- Who can apply for a permanent resident card?
- I was told that my permanent resident card was sent to me but I did not get it yet. What should I do?
- I legally changed my name. How do I update my PR card?
- I have reclaimed my Indigenous name. How do I update my PR card?
- Date modified: