Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I’ve lost my citizenship card/certificate. How do I replace it?

If your card or certificate was stolen, report the theft to your local police department.

If you don’t plan to apply for a replacement for at least 6 weeks after the loss or theft

Replacing your citizenship card

We stopped giving citizenship cards and the commemorative certificates in February 2012. We won’t send you a new card or replace a commemorative certificate.

To replace a lost or stolen card, you need to apply for a citizenship certificate (8½ x 11 paper certificate).

Replacing your citizenship certificate

You need to apply for a citizenship certificate if yours was stolen or lost.

Other documents we accept as proof of citizenship

Find out which other documents you can use to prove your Canadian citizenship.

Answers others found useful


Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: