Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Will I get my permanent resident card by mail?

I am a new permanent resident living inside Canada

Yes. If you are a new permanent resident, you will get your permanent resident (PR) card by mail.

I am already a permanent resident living inside Canada

Probably. Most permanent residents in Canada replacing or renewing their PR card will receive it by mail. However, we may ask you to pick it up at a local IRCC office. If you need to pick up your card, we will contact you to schedule an appointment. If you cannot go to your appointment, you can reschedule it with the local office. If you do not pick up your card within 180 days, we will destroy it and you will have to re-apply.

I am a permanent resident living outside of Canada

No. We do not mail PR cards outside of Canada. If you need to return to Canada and your PR card has expired or been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a permanent resident travel document. It is only valid for one re-entry. You can apply for your PR card when you return to Canada.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: