Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

My application for a permanent resident visa is currently being processed at the Embassy. Can I go to Canada as a tourist and wait for my visa there?

You may travel to Canada as a tourist before you get your permanent resident visa. However, we strongly advise against making any definitive arrangements for your stay in Canada until you have received your permanent resident visa.

You will need to apply for a visitor visa to travel to Canada as a tourist.

Please note that having a valid visitor visa does not guarantee your entry into Canada. A border services officer will decide if you can enter Canada and how long you can stay.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How-to video

A Step-by-step look at biometrics

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: