Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I am travelling with my minor child without my spouse. What documents must I present?

You must present the following documents:

  • A copy of the child’s birth certificate
  • A letter of authorization signed by the parent who is not travelling, containing their address and telephone number, in English or French if possible, and
  • A photocopy of the non-accompanying parent’s signed passport or national identity card

If the parents are separated or divorced, and share custody of the child, the parent travelling with the child should carry copies of the legal custody documents.

If the parents are separated or divorced and one of them has sole custody of the child, the letter of authorization may be signed by that parent only and they should bring a copy of the custody papers.

If one of the child’s parents is deceased, the travelling parent should bring a copy of the death certificate.

For more information, see Minor children travelling to Canada.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How-to video

A Step-by-step look at biometrics

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: