Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I have a visa or a temporary resident permit to enter Canada. Do I need an eTA too?

No. If you plan to travel to Canada, you need a valid visitor visa or a valid eTA.

The one you need depends on:

  • the type of travel document you will travel with;
  • the country that issued your travel document;
  • your nationality; and
  • how you will travel to Canada.

Before you apply, answer a few questions to find out what you need to travel to Canada.

If you already have a valid Canadian visitor visa you don’t need to apply for an eTA – even if you’re eligible for an eTA. You can travel with your visa until it expires.

If you apply for an initial work or study permit before you travel to Canada, you’ll get a visa or an eTA automatically once your work or study permit application is approved. You don’t need to apply for a visa or an eTA, or pay extra fees.

  • If we issue you a visa, we’ll stick in your passport.
  • If we issue you an eTA, your eTA number will be included in the letter of introduction we will send you when your study or work permit is approved. Keep this number in case you need to contact us about your eTA.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: