Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I am from a visa-exempt country and a study or work permit. Do I need to apply for an eTA?

It depends.

Initial permit issued on or after August 1, 2015

If you’re from a visa-exempt country, we issued an eTA automatically to you when your permit was approved.

Your eTA is electronically linked to the passport you used to apply for your permit. It is valid for up to five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. See your letter of introduction for details.

If you got a new passport since your permit was issued, you will need to get a new eTA.

Extension issued before May 1, 2017

If you never received or applied for an eTA before, you will need to apply for one if you plan to leave and return to Canada by air.

Extension issued on or after May 1, 2017

If you extend your permit, we will issue you an eTA automatically when we approve your permit.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: