Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I am a Canadian citizen. Do I need an eTA to enter Canada?

No. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, cannot apply for an eTA to enter Canada.

You will need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada.

A valid Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel document. It provides proof that you are a citizen and have the right to enter Canada without being subjected to immigration screening. Make sure that the expiry date of the passport is well beyond your planned return date.

Find out how to renew or apply for a Canadian passport.

Flying in a few days or at the airport without a Canadian passport?

You can apply for a special authorization that, if approved, will allow you to board your flight with your valid non-Canadian passport.

See Dual Canadian citizens need a Canadian passport.

For future travel, make sure to travel with a Canadian passport. Apply soon. It can take time to get a Canadian passport.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: