Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I was invited to apply through Express Entry but my work permit expired. What do I do?

If you didn’t apply for a new work permit before your original one expired, it may cause your score to drop. This could cause you to not be eligible anymore.

If your score has dropped below the minimum cut-off for your round of invitations, you should decline the invitation. If you submit your application anyway, we’ll refuse it.

If we refuse your application, we won’t refund your fees.

If you decline, you’ll be put back in the pool. You should update your Express Entry profile to show the change in your work status.

You may be able to restore your status and get a work permit. If your status is restored and you still have an eligible Express Entry profile, you may be invited to apply for permanent residence again in the future.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: