Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I’m sponsoring my spouse or common-law partner. Can they work while their application is being processed?

Yes, but only if they have a work permit.

Your sponsored spouse or partner can apply for an open work permit if

  • they’re living with you, in Canada, and
  • we’ve confirmed their application for permanent residence is complete

While your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application is being processed, they must

  • maintain legal status as a temporary resident in Canada, and
  • wait for their work permit application to be approved before starting to work
    • If they already have a work permit that is expiring, they can keep working as long as they maintain their status as a worker.

How to apply for this open work permit

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: